Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting
Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- Maintaining your Aprilaire humidifier is essential for getting the full benefits of this type of system. One of the most important parts to maintain is the water solenoid valve. This component regulates how much water flows through a coil to produce humidity. If it malfunctions, you will not be able to use your humidifier and may have other problems as well!
Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- In this post, I’ll show you how to check it and clean it if needed, so that you can enjoy an easier winter without worrying about dry skin or nosebleeds from low humidity levels.
- First, you will need to shut off the power to your humidifier. This is usually done by flipping a switch on the wall near the humidifier. Once the power is off, remove the cover of the unit.
- Now you will need to locate the water solenoid valve. It is usually located near the bottom of the humidifier and looks like a small black cylinder. There is a wire coming out of one end of it – this is the electrical connection.
- If you have an Allen wrench, you can use it to remove the two screws that hold the valve in place. If not, you can use a standard screwdriver. Be very careful when doing this, as you don’t want to damage anything else in the unit.
- Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- Once the screws are removed, you can pull the valve out and take a look at it. If it is dirty, you can clean it with a water hose or some mild soap. Just be sure to let it dry completely before reinstalling it.
- If the valve is damaged in any way, you will need to replace it. You can usually find these parts at your local hardware store or online.
- Once the valve is cleaned or replaced, you can re-attach it by reversing the process described above. Be sure to screw it in tightly so that it doesn’t come loose.
- Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- Now re-attach the cover of the humidifier and turn on the power. You should now be able to use your humidifier again.
- If you notice that the humidity is not as high as it should be, you may need to replace the humidifier filter. This can easily be done by pushing down on one end of the filter and pulling it out. Make sure the new filter is completely dry before re-inserting it into the unit.
- I hope this post has been helpful! If you have any other tips for maintaining your Aprilaire humidifier, let us know about them in the comments section below!
How do I know if my humidifier solenoid is bad?
Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- You can check if your solenoid is working by checking the resistance on it. This is done with a multimeter, which is available at most hardware stores, or online. On some solenoids, you will need to disconnect one of the wires before testing it. If you are not comfortable performing this test yourself, contact an HVAC contractor.
Aprilaire Humidifier Water Solenoid Valve- If your humidifier water solenoid valve is bad, it may be caused by debris inhibiting its movement. You can try blowing out any dust that might be stuck in between the coil and the magnet on the end of the valve.
How do you test a humidifier solenoid valve?
Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- You can check a solenoid valve in several ways: resistance testing, filling the unit with water, checking for leaks, or using a multimeter to read the voltage going into the device. Each of these methods is outlined below.
To test it by measuring its resistance, you will need an ohmmeter. First, disconnect one wire from the solenoid coil. Then use your meter to check for continuity within that wire as well as with another wire connected to the other end of the coil. If both sides have continuity, then this indicates that you have tested correctly and that your solenoid does not have any breaks in its wiring.
Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- If you want to test a humidifier water solenoid valve by checking for leaks, you can fill the unit with water and check for any puddles on its floor. Alternatively, you can remove the wire from the solenoid coil and hold a paper towel in place while turning on the power. If you notice a very quick sizzle sound when doing this, then your valve likely needs to be replaced.
Aprilaire Solenoid Valve Troubleshooting- To test a humidifier water solenoid valve by using a multimeter, stop one of the wires from running into it. Then use your meter to read both sides of that wire separately, as well as each side of the coil. If it reads 0 ohms on either side, you will need to replace your solenoid.